Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Is It a Closet or an Armoire?

At the end of our first class meeting, I introduced myself to the instructor with a question which was in fact too individual to be helpful to the entire class. Specifically, I asked, "How long do pine planks for wainscoting need to be acclimated to the room where they'll be installed?" (Conditioning, moisture, and acclimatization were major issues in the first lecture.)

As I walked up, though, he was telling a few other students to be thinking soon and seriously about their projects. As he turned to me, he observed my wedding ring and said, "You're married, you have nothing to worry about! Your wife will have plenty of ideas for you!"



Rather than deal with the wife issue, I laughed that, "The number of ideas will not be the problem, but weighing the available time, effort and interest will be difficult."

Ought I have corrected him? It seemed at the time to be an unnecessary distraction, but in retrospect, it was equally an opportunity to pull that proverbial Band-Aid off quickly and cleanly. Now if I want to say something, I'll have to make a point of it, and that will be awkward for everyone. I probably don't want to stay closeted for 10 hours a week for the next 30 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, you're often my wife out of convenience. Although not generally with someone I have to deal with on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe next time someone says 'wife', just cheerfully say 'oh, I have a husband actually' and move on?

    I have to say, though, that mostly when people assume D and I are married I don't bother correcting them because it's easier than having a Teachable Moment.

    ReplyDelete