Thursday, August 19, 2010

That Guy. You know who I mean.

During our first class meeting, after hearing about the cost and quality benefits of buying lumber from remote lumber yards with unfinished hardwood boards, one brave (God bless her!) student asked, "Do any of these places deliver?"

At first the Instructor smirked a bit, but then tempered that as, of course, this is a legitimate, reasonable and serious question. No, they do not. But, he suggested, some one or more of the classmates may have a pickup truck or SUV and be willing to share shopping and carting trips.

Given the reticence of the class that first night, it struck me that it would be a long time - perhaps too long - before folks started meeting and coordinating. So I took the liberty of setting up a message board on Google Groups. I meant to announce it last night, but didn't have the gumption. I don't want to be That Guy. You know that guy. I also worried that it could come across as condescending - even toward the Instructor who may or may not have any interest in the Interwebs.

I did turn out to be That Guy in the pencil department last night. No one brought pencils. Not even the Instructor. Who goes to carpentry class without a pencil? I had three with me, and that turned out to be the whole supply.

So, there was sharing. Maybe the pencil shortage will turn out to be the ice breaker we needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment