Monday, August 23, 2010

Narrowing Minded

Tonight, our initial project sketches are due. The Instructor has cautioned us repeatedly to consider our skills, talents, experience and budget, as well as the limited space and time available in the workshop.

I have ruled out a dining table, as Michael and I remain unsure what size and shape we will want, and we think it would be best to spend some time in the space before making a big move. As the Instructor has also noted - this first project is sure to be flawed - perhaps not seriously flawed, but flawed nonetheless. So, don't make it a project whose perfection is paramount.

As I've noted before, a custom desk for our new library/den/guest room would be terrific. We anticipate using this as our primary tv-watching space, as well as our work space during the day. I haven't seen a desk that is designed to accommodate a work surface as well as open storage for the Blu-Ray player, cable box and receiver. I did some really rough sketches last night, and one upside of this project is that it could be simplified if and as time runs out and things look difficult. It could have two or four electronics cubbies. It could have a raised hutch or not.

At the same time, I'm still considering making some simple shelves. I love the Norrtorp from Ikea, but $40 seems expensive for something so simple. So, I'd get the feeling of an economic win along with a useable product.
Ikea Norrtorp Wall Shelves, $39.99, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80177702

I could make as many shelves as time permits, and be sure to finish at least a couple (for the kitchen). I think this shelving system - with some simple modifications - could also help achieve our vision of a built-in library. Building shelves took on added attraction when I found pictures of this swoon-worthy kitchen.
http://remodelista.com/posts/steal-this-look-brooklyn-home-kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment